I am a Jew and an agnostic, but my family includes people from many faiths (and unfaiths) and we all agree that gifts are cool. In case you (like me) forgot that gift-giving time was upon us, here are some good ones you still have time to buy.
Cool Stuff (pics at the bottom of this post):
- Motters: whimsical handmade cute-as-all-heck good luck animals ($22).
- Lewd Linens: filthy, hilarious kitchen accessories ($12).
- Mud Australia: the best and prettiest fucking ceramics in the universe (I bought a $60 tea mug this year, like an insane person, and have not regretted it even once).
- The Art of Lauren J. Andrews: gorgeous original watercolor paintings, signed by the artist, for any price you pick.
- Dayna Kurtz “Rise and Fall”: Gorgeous bluesy good true songs. The title track is one of my favorite songs of the year.
- The Wood Brothers “Paradise”: their newest and possibly best! Dig upon “River of Sin” if you feel like crying with joy.
- Nick Lowe “The Convincer”: the best record I’ve encountered in the past 5 years… still not over it. Perfect songs, sung perfectly, subtle and deep.
- Christmas Music that Doesn’t Suck: in case you need some non-annoying xmas music to get you in the holiday spirit, here is a Spotify playlist I made a couple years back and… yep, it’s still good.
- And of course, I’d be remiss not to mention that all of my albums can be ordered here for any price you want. Order asap if you want them for xmas!
- Ta Nehesi Coates - Between the World and Me: a mindboggling, heartbreaking, beautifully written memoir about being black in America. Required reading for Americans and other humans.
- Anne Lamott - Rosie: A tearjerker about family and addiction, written like an adorable dream.
- Roddy Doyle - A Star Called Henry: Historical fiction, coming-of-age novel and Irish-writer-porn all rolled into one.
- Ursula K. LeGuin - The Disposessed: a science fiction novel that is fun to read, and also will forever change the way you understand capitalism, communism, anarchism, childhood and gender.
- Sherman Alexie - The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven: a book of smart, hilarious, deeply moving stories about growing up Native American.
For the person who has everything: donate to one of these excellent nonprofit orgs in their name. Procrastination bonus: you can do this online on Christmas eve and it still counts!
- LIRS (Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services): a national org that sub-grants to local agencies to help refugees resettle in the US. I’ll be donating as much as I can muster this Christmas…. cus I’m no bible scholar but I have a hunch that Jesus would not be that into turning away refugees.
- Kiva: Sustainably alleviating poverty through international micro-lending.
- The Roots of Music: Empowering the youth of New Orleans through music education, academic support, and mentorship.
If you love this post (and my other creations), subscribe to me on Patreon.